These are notes from a class I’ve observed at RIMYI during December 2019, which might be of interest to Iyengar yoga teachers and practitioners.
This was a lively, dynamic Intermediate level asana class. Gulnaaz is funny! She has a laugh with her students. She pokes fun, and I’ve included some anecdotes here, but really want to stress that the atmosphere was most definitely friendly and accepting; there was no ‘naming and shaming’ for being late etc.
- Adho mukha virasana
- Adho mukha svanasana
- Uttanasana (classical, feet together)
- Supta tadasana
- Supta urdvha hastasana push your knees down, arms down
- Supta padangustasana 1, 90 degrees, arms in urdvha hastasana (no belt)
(A phone starts to ring). Oh, now we do yoga to music. I have given up telling them to turn their phones off (another phone rings) so now you have to enjoy doing your yoga to music. All the different ring-tones you will hear.
- Eka pada supta pavana muktasana
(A woman enters late for class by about 15 or 20 minutes) Yes my special madam? What was it? Traffic? You know we have traffic. Family? Husband? Work? There are so many excuses. None? OK, no excuse, never mind. Come on.
- Supta padangustasana 1 90 degrees, with belt and elbows on floor alignment should be outer heel buttock
- Supta padangustasana 2, belt with short loop balance with your hands
- Supta padangustasana 1, 90 degrees, arms in urdvha hastasana
- Urdvha prasarita padasana (UPP) 90 degrees, not belt, from floor
- UPP dynamic x 50
I have some students here who go to the gym to prepare coming to yoga. Where is gym boy? Ah there you are. For you, 100. Hnh? You take belt? Belt is for Aunties! (older ladies)
- Supta tadasana
- Urdvha hastasasna dandasana- UPP 90 degrees (in rotation) x 25
- Urdvha hastasana dandasana- supta tadasana (in rotation) x 25 Not rolling. You are not rolling to halasana
- Dandasana Legs have ot work
- Supta urdvha hastasana- urdvha hasta dandasana x 25 Move. Move a little bit. Aunties, go slow. Do ten.
- Supta baddha kınasana, holding ankles
- Eka pada sirsasana
- Parsvaikapada sirsasana Go back to supta padangustasana 2. Allow the leg to come down in line with the hip. Come down from sirsasana with straight legs if possible, like UPP and urdvha dandasana
- Sarvangasana Feet and hips together, and lift up. Lift higher. If you can see your legs it’s not good- you have to go further back
- Eka pada sarvangasana Arch of foot open, toes down
- Parsvaikapada sarvangasana
- Supta Konasana
- Karnapidasana Your knees should touch the floor
- Uttanasana (feet apart) Extend yourself down. The sharpening is in the knees. Your eyes should tell your knees to go back.
- Urdvha baddangulyasana in virasana
- Supta baddha kınasana (hands holding ankles, the arms on floor)- 5 mins
- Savasana- 5 mins